Baked Coconut Pudding
1 cup desiccated Coconut
1 cup stale Breadcrumbs
4 cups Milk
4 tabs Sugar
1 Lemon, grated rind only
2 tabs melted Butter
|eggs, sugar and breadcrumbs|
1. Make Breadcrumbs in food processor, or grate stale bread like Nonna used to, messy but it works, trim off any hard crusts. You can use any bread, I use gluten free bread these days.
2. Soak the Breadcrumbs in a cup of the milk, warmed.
3. Add Coconut to remainder milk in a large mixing bowl
4. Beat Eggs and Sugar together until smooth, not fluffy
5. Add soaked Breadcrumbs and Egg mixture to Coconut mix
|ready for the oven|
6. Add Lemon rind and Butter
7. Pour mixture into well greased 1½ litre or 2 litre oven proof dish
8. Pace this pudding dish into a water bath (bain marie). Which is a baking dish filled with water.
9. Bake in oven 180°C for 30 – 40 mins until set. It is starting to over cook if you can see small bubbles in the custard.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
11. Best served at room temperature with fresh cream and stewed fruit
|Nicely browned and ready to cool down|
|Simple and delicious|